sometext

Login  Register     Chat  FAQ   Search  Members  
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

New Topic Post Reply  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Comp
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:28 pm 
Rockjock wrote:
When I start my new build I will be doing the same, GanZ. I always start with the tower.

This build is going to be red - my comp now is all blue. Already bought the sound card for it, Sound Blaster Zx. Haven't picked out my tower yet, but this build I am going with a full metal tower - my current one is aluminum and plastic and I have always worried about breaking it. It will probably have gauges on the front of it as I like them on my current machine.

The bad aspect of my current build is that it sounds like a small jet - when I put the 8800GTX in it, the case got too hot and I had to get a massive heat sink along with multiple case fans. On my new build, I am going with glycol cooling and light reactive tubing. My builds always have a clear side to the case :D.

For a motherboard, I will probably stick with the ASUS Crosshair family. It's been an amazing mobo, you can even adjust how many VOLTS are going to parts of the board. It will have dual graphics card capability, but I doubt that I will use it. I was going to go dual cards with my last build, but at $600 a pop I just couldn't justify another card just for bragging rights. I have had a lot of pains with the 8800, so on my new build I am probably going back to ATI. What motherboard you choose is also going to determine what CPU you will use - I prefer AMD over Intel because the hyperthreading is a bit better. That means the cores talk to each other faster.

Make sure that your mobo supports 4 RAM slots if you want to RAM stack - 16GB is a ton, but I really don't need to run more then 8, so 4 sticks at 2GB each or 2 4GB.

With my hard drives, I will run 2 1TB internal drives with a third on external firewire. Faster RPM is better!

All in all, the best thing I can recommend is to get the hottest CPU you can afford, the fastest RAM, and the fastest hard drives. Overbuilding my current machine made it run like a rabid ape for well over 7 years. About $2k invested, and it would smoke a comparable $6k Alienware. Building comps is a blast, and super easy. Have fun, and remember that Newegg will be your best friend.

Holy Rock what kind of gaming do you do? You've got some serious cooling going on!

So your going to go with AMD this time? I'm confused? AMD does not have HT, this is only a intel thing. AMD uses real cores instead of virtual cores like Intel.

Those GT 8800 cards were not quiet at all. My parents now have my 9800 and that thing is a tornado in the tower! The new Nvidia's are better, we'll have to see what ATI has coming out as they have to respond to the GTX Titan video cards.

Why not consider SSD over spinning drives? Yes the cost is high, but if you want the fastest performance SSD is the way to go. Samsung introduced drives that are 750GB and 1TB and will come in at a lower price point than what is offered today in the same size. Ditch the Firewire, old tech USB 3.0/ESATA/Thunderbolt will destroy FW in performance.

Firewire 800=800Mbps
USB 3.0 = 5.0Gbps
ESata = 6.0 Gbps (connected to a 6Gbps port/if not then 3Gbps)
Thunderbolt = 10Gps in each direction (upstream/downstream)

Sometimes its not best to future proof yourself as Intel has a 'tick/tock' programs that introduces new processors every 6months or so. The worse part is Intel has a good habit of changing sockets every year too, this is very annoying. AMD is much friendlier to someone would like to be more futureproof as they don't change sockets as often.

Sorry if this sounds rude, I'm just passing off my mistakes over the years. Think just 8 years ago I was an apple user for 15yrs! That's what you call a poor investment :(

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:29 pm 
Catastrophe wrote:
i get 200 fps in both csgo and cod blackops 2

Cata is this on Ultra settings?

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:07 pm 

i thinkk it waqs on auto for csgo

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:44 pm 
Nice! That's cool!

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:51 am 

specs\\

Attachments:
specs.jpg
specs.jpg [ 290.41 KiB | Viewed 359 times ]

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:20 am 
Nice! I see a beta Nvidia driver on your desktop! :)

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:30 pm 

lol yeah im just too lazy uninstall and clean it up... :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:08 pm 

tweaked a bit more and im getting around 300 in csgo and 300 in cod bo 2

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:23 am 
Hey ha6it, thanks for the ideas. As far as the external drive goes, nothing that's there needs super speed to run. But, that drive ...might... have some certain tools that have nothing to do with gaming that a person might want to get rid of at a quick pace haha. That's the only reason it's even there.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:31 pm 
Catastrophe wrote:
tweaked a bit more and im getting around 300 in csgo and 300 in cod bo 2

Damn man! That's good stuff! :) I should play some CS:GO it's been awhile.

Rockjock wrote:
Hey ha6it, thanks for the ideas. As far as the external drive goes, nothing that's there needs super speed to run. But, that drive ...might... have some certain tools that have nothing to do with gaming that a person might want to get rid of at a quick pace haha. That's the only reason it's even there.

Cool cool! Man how much do you wear in climbing gear? Looks heavy!

New Topic Post Reply  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next