sometext

Login  Register     Chat  FAQ   Search  Members  
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

New Topic Post Reply  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Comp
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:03 pm 
Depends on what kind of climbing I am doing...

Standard trad (traditional) rack that I am wearing in my picture is probably close to 30 pounds - up that to 50 if climbing a big wall. Traditional climbing is when you use things like metal chocks called nuts, camming devices, and other temporary removable protection to save you from a fall. Things like pitons (iron pins) and other things that damage the rock permanently are avoided whenever possible these days.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:47 pm 
Damn! That's crazy! How do you get all the equipment back after you climb a wall? I've always wondered about that? Do you climb back down and retrieve it all?

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:15 pm 
Ha, good question - I don't want to hijack this thread too much, but it goes like this:

Lead climber climbs up, placing protection as he goes. He is on the lead line, and has the haul line attached to the back of his harness. The haul line is attached to the haul bag or "pig" - basically a big tube you carry all your water, food etc in. Under the pig is your portaledge, sub pigs, poop tube etc. Depending on how many pigs you have, they can weight over 200 pretty easy. The longer the wall, the more pigs needed.

When the lead climber reaches the end of the "pitch" - which is any distance up to the rope length - he builds an anchor or uses existing bolt to secure himself. He pulls all the slack that is left on the lead line, and attaches it tight to the anchor. On the other end of the lead line below you is your partner, who has belayed you up the pitch - belaying is keeping you from falling to your death if you come off.

You set another anchor and rig a 2:1 mechanical advantage hauling ratchet, and put the haul line in it and pull the slack line in. You let your partner know that you have the haul, and he releases the piggage from the last anchor that he is at.

While you haul the pig...and haul the pig....and haul it some more (it only comes up about a foot with each 3 ft pull on the haul ratchet) using body weight, your partner ascends the lead line using tools called - get this - ascenders. As he reaches each piece you put in, he takes it out and clips it to his body harness or chest harness.

Once you get the pig up, you secure it and wait for your partner to finish "cleaning" the pitch. When he reaches the anchor, he either hands the gear over to you to lead again, or takes the remaining gear to lead the next pitch. Wash, rinse, and repeat as necessary until you top out or decide to bail. (commonly from a condition known as "Snail Eye" as opposed to "Wall Eye" - in other words you chicken out or find an excuse to bail. Happens to everyone sometimes, even the big time pros - being on a wall screws with your head.)

For most climbing that is more then one pitch (called "multi-pitch") climbing that isn't on a wall, it's basically the same but without the pig. Leader goes up, placing gear. Belayer climbs up, cleaning gear. And off you go! When you get to the top, you rappel off or walk off depending on the route.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:46 pm 
Damn! That's serious stuff!

Maybe we should start a new topic about climbing :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:20 pm 
Good idea! Look for it in the "Outdoors" thread area!

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:22 pm 

WHAT IS THIS PROCESSOR?! 8 CORES?!

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:58 am 

I go Amd over intel any day, same bang for less buck. Jus sayin...

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:58 pm 
Hey Cata,

It's your processor, can't really tell from the pix they are so small. Your 3770 is 4 cores with HT. HT=4 virtual cores making 8 cores in total.

New|Reader wrote:
I go Amd over intel any day, same bang for less buck. Jus sayin...

I like AMD too, but performance per watt sucks at the moment. We'll see when the new Kaveri comes out near the end the year. Those APU's are very very interesting, who needs even a low level video card since the on chip GPU is good enough for a casual gamer.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:27 pm 

h46it wrote:
Hey Cata,

It's your processor, can't really tell from the pix they are so small. Your 3770 is 4 cores with HT. HT=4 virtual cores making 8 cores in total.

Would it help if I disabled HT perforamnce wise?

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:49 pm 
Why do you want to turn them off? You would have to monitor to see if your game can take advantage of HT. If not you can turn them off, but then you should have gotten a 3570 processor instead.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next